Out and About
Have a great family day out at:
- Get ready to walk the plank to the pirate ship in the middle of a lake at River Dart Country Park!
- Take a ride through Seaton Wetlands on the Seaton Tramway
- Get your rollercoaster fix at Crealy theme park
- Enjoy beautiful gardens, the train and soft play at Bicton Park Botanical Gardens
- Pecorama is a must for those train enthusiasts young and old!
- Go fossil hunting at Charmouth beach, build sandcastles or go rock pooling at Exmouth, enjoy fish and chips at Lyme Regis (watch out for the seagulls!) or go paddleboarding in Seaton, there’s a beach for everything nearby! Most have dog friendly sections.
Enjoy the countryside, coast, gardens, and houses:
From a short stroll to a full day’s rambling, you’ll discover stunning scenery along the East Devon Way or Jurassic Coast.
We are within the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with a unique mix of secluded wooded combes ,vast areas of heathland, peaceful river valleys and breathtaking cliffs and hilltops, shaped by centuries of farming.
Within a 2 minute walk from Barritshayes you can pick up the East Devon Way, making us the perfect base for exploring the East Devon AONB on foot. There are lots of mapped out walks to suit all ages and abilities, including accessible walks.
Or explore the Jurassic Coast via the South West Coast Path.
The Sidmouth and East Devon Walking Festival takes place in September each year with free guided walks across the region, including sections of the East Devon Way. Find details at www.visitsidmouth.co.uk or on the Festival Facebook page here.
And don’t forget the gorgeous Dartmoor which is only an hour away!
You’re spoilt for choice when it comes to eating out in East Devon, so we’ve picked a few of our favourites for you here. We recommend booking ahead as they’re very popular!
- If you’re looking for a family or dog friendly pub with great food, try The Masons Arms in Branscombe (their Sunday lunch is great!). The Kingfisher in Colyton and Wheelwright Inn in Colyford are also great local options
- Why not complete a day out in Lyme Regis with a meal at Swim – laid back all day dining on the promenade
- Tuck into great sourdough pizza at Feast Lyme Bay in Seaton – they do take away too
- Visit River Cottage in Axminster for great quality laid back food in the Kitchen or book a dining event or cookery course with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s team. Dog friendly in the Kitchen
- For a great all day breakfast or lighter meals, head to The Grazing Cow in Offwell, The Hideaway Café at the end of Seaton promenade or Merchant’s Tea Rooms in the market square in Colyton
- Celebrating a birthday or anniversary? Then how about treating yourself at The Oyster and Fish House by Mark Hix in Lyme Regis or The Pig at Combe
- Staying in and want to cook some great local produce at home? Head to Greendale, Millers or Darts Farm. Greendale even has live crabs and lobsters for you to choose!